The Wellness Studio
Thai Hot Stem Therapy
Thai Hot Stem Massage is a form of massage that has drawn various components of other modalities to create a soothing, purifying, and rejuvenating treatment. Among the therapies included are components of: Swedish, Thai, Hawaiian Lomi Lomi, Shiatsu massage as well as acupressure and lymphatic drainage.
Each treatment involves herbal or coconut stems, in addition to the massage techniques. In Thailand, the stems are used in treatments for aches, pains, to relieve inflammation and bruising as well as soothing treatment for underlying connective tissue. The deep moist heat produced by the steamed stems is highly effective when dealing with deep seated muscle tension and the aromatherapy offered by the herbs is a wonderful way to encourage relaxation and promote the healing process. The cotton covering and the oils produced by the herbs offers an additional advantage of exfoliating, cleansing and improving the skin.
The stems used for this treatment are a blend of several specific herbs, which are then bound in unbleached, natural cotton. The stems are organic and are produced and bought through a fair trade company.
Clients are encouraged to take their stems home after the treatments. The stems can be enjoyed in various ways but care must be taken to ensure that they are stored properly. After each time the stems are used, they must be thoroughly dried then stored in an airtight container. Alternatively, they can be dried then frozen in an airtight container then frozen. If stored properly, the stems will last approximately one month or up to 3 months if frozen. Proper care techniques are important since the contents of the stems are botanical and mold can develop very quickly.
Who would benefit from Thai Hot Stem Massage?
• Clients looking for general relaxation treatments
• Clients wanting to detox/purge impurities from their body
• Clients with joint pain, stiffness, discomfort
• Clients who do not have any sensitivities to fragrance, herbs or heat
Who should not come in for Thai Hot Stem Massage?
• Pregnant women (or any woman who may be pregnant, or trying to become pregnant)
• Breastfeeding women
• Clients with uncontrolled high blood pressure
• Clients who are advised against going through a detox/cleansing routine
• Clients with heat sensitivities
• Clients with environmental sensitivities or sensitivities to strong fragrances
The ingredients of the stems include: Plai (a member of the ginger family), Tumeric, Lemongrass, Kaffir Lime (Peel and leaves), Sweet Flag/Cinnamon Sedge, Tamarind (Leaves), Pandanus (Leaves), Somboli (Leaves), Somsiel (Leaves), JEng, Wannangkam, Camphor, Wansaolong, and Eucalyptus.